Wednesday 10 February 2016

When you look for the 'me' in 'us', you might not see Jes'us'

Day 1
Draw me close – closer than before- closer than I’ve ever been

In Jamaica, we double words for emphasis. When someone has died and we find it hard to believe we ask, “Do you mean the person is dead dead?” Is the cake good good or just good? “Good good would mean it’s very good! I am Jamaican to the core.

A couple years ago a friend asked me if I believed Christ died on the cross for me. I said yes. Then I paused, I asked…Do you mean me me or just people in general. She said, “you”. I paused again.

“No, I said, I wasn’t even born when he died; it was like more than 2000 years ago.”
 “I suppose I believe he died for the people who were living back then, and all their sins. I didn’t commit any sins when he died.”
 “I’m thinking the whole, he died to save us bit was a spill over unto me.” 
I was a Christian when I said that bit. And thank God for how far I have come.

I believed in theory that Christ died for ‘us’ on Calvary’s cross, but somehow, at that  moment, with that question, when I tallied it up in my brain; it didn’t add up. The whole ‘me’ part. That personal part. That Tanya part. Me. Just me.

How could he? Why would he? Why did he? How does it transfer to all who are here now? How does it cover all who aren’t here yet; all who are a mere thought in a couple’s mind? How does it really and truly work like that?

To answer that we have to go back to the beginning, you know- the God created heaven bit, when he fashioned 'man' in his imagine and likeness. That Adam and Eve part. He didn't create them in isolation. In fact in creating them, he fashioned the way for us. All of us - including me

I remember being admitted to the hospital once. I was sick sick. Mummy had to leave me, but she left me with this Psalm and these words. Psalm 23. Read it and remember what is says, she said, it's a personal Psalm. It's all about you. Don't worry, I'll be back in the morning. I read it, I trusted and she was indeed back in the morning. We all know it...it reads..
 The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.3 He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.
Jesus loves ME

 It was all about me. Just me. That me that Jesus thought about on Calvary's cross. That me that he fashioned in my mother's womb. That me that he knew before I was even conceived. That me that is fearfully and wonderfully made. That me, so important that he numbered all the hairs on my head. That me that was made a little lower than angels and crowned in glory and honour. Yes.That me

In fact, that me, that you, can get lost  in that 'us'. That Christ died for 'us' phrase. Sometimes we forget the me in us. Sometimes we can forget that Christ carried a cross, died in shame for a 'me' that was there at the base of the cross, as well as a 'me' that would stand infront of her own cross pondering if Christ died for a 'me' or an 'us'

I was not there. I committed no sin. I didn't say 'crucify Him'; yet, he died then and there, on that cross of shame, for a future that I was to gain. I accept it. I live in it. I am growing in it. Me.

Truth be told- my thoughts that Christ did not die for me me, is the thought of the many who reject him daily. It is the thought of the many who think they are too far gone, too wrapped up in sin, to accept that their sins have been forgiven and their souls redeemed more than 2000 years ago by a Christ that sees all things and knows all things. A God who in Genesis told us that the seed of a woman would crush the serpent's head. Yes, that God knew, from Genesis, the beginning, what would happen 2000 years after; and he told us too. We serve an all powerful God. A good that is concerned with the 'me' as well as the 'us'.

So why did he do it? How does it transfer to me..just me

Genesis 1: 26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
Why did he want to save me? because he made me just like himself, I am just like God, I am his image, I am his likeness. I am holy, I am righteousness, I am beautiful, pure, blessed, wonderfully made. If God was Jamaican, he would say - She mek good good- translation - 31 And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. 
That's why he died on that cross for us - for me; because I was made not just good, but good good, and anything made very well is indeed worth saving. Let us embrace Him in this the 40 days leading up to the cross with a hope to find me and us in Jesus Christ our Saviour and soon coming King. 
Related Readings : Genesis 1-4
You may also like: Abridge to a cross


6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thank you Icah, I'm glad you came by and shared as well

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, I appreciate you stopping by and I am glad you were blessed by it, even though you are giving up Lent for lent

      Delete
  3. such a great post tanya

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kerona, and I hope to see you back on your blog soon.

      Delete