Thursday 12 May 2016

When Jesus replies with a BIG FAT NO!

On Saturday my phone got shattered.

Just four days later, my hopes suffered the same fate.

I was listening to a preacher on Periscope on Saturday, he was giving a simple, yet powerful message – Psalm 50:23 “Whoso offereth praise glorifieth me and to him that ordereth his conversation aright will I shew the salvation of God.” It struck a chord. I had been letting my doubts speak for years. The next few days, I had fewer conversations! The ones I had were just with me and my God. I had begun to understand that I needed to speak life over myself.

If you asked me to explain how the phone fell face down on the cold hard concrete, I’m not sure I could, but as I caught my breath and hoped for the best, disappointment came. Remarkably, all functionality of the phone was intact, the Periscope replay still played, the volume was still soul reaching, but it was shattered nonetheless. I was running my life from that device, this blog, schoolwork, research, my bible notes, pictures, just about everything was on it and I had to decide, should I pronounce it dead or try to make it ‘worthy’ again? I chose the latter. Hopefully, it can be repaired as good as new.

There is this song like – ‘When Jesus says Yes, nobody can say No,’ (and isn’t that the truth) but when you land on the other side of Yes, that flipside, that BIG FAT NO  side – there is another song you sing.

I had fasted. I prayed. I repeated bible promises. I planted a seed. I had spoken life over my days. I had been asking Jesus for something my heart desired, something I had hoped for. Jesus grants the desires of your heart. That same Jesus, after my sacrifice, said…NO! A BIG FAT NO!

On Wednesday, hope, well- it just died – fullstop.

I now, became my phone – shattered but working; fully functional with a broken screen. If you asked me to explain why my hopes fell on the cold hard concrete of life, I’m not sure I could, but as I stepped out in faith and outside of fear, disappointment came with that BIG FAT NO!

Out of all the people in the Bible, I have never heard anybody wanting to be Job – ever! No one names their kid Job, no one longs to lose their loved ones, no one wants to have their friends say the dumbest things at the most painful time of their life and no one wants to lose all they have ever had. If there was ever a happy ending in the Bible, it was Job, but the process! The process was brutal!
The thing about Job though, that we all, I’m sure, find remarkable, was that faith; Satan questioned it, but God, he believed in it. God believed in Job’s faith so much that he removed that covering from him and let that Satan run Job through a sieve. He shattered his business, wealth and family in one go! Talk about overkill!

Curse God and die!

Job couldn’t see the future, he wasn’t a prophet, he didn’t dream dreams, he, just a man, who loved God. On that day when his hopes were shattered, Job could not envision the turn- around that lay up in God’s hand for him – all he could see was desolation.  YET – all he held onto was his God!

His fate didn’t determine his faith – neither must yours or mine




I would take a guess and say that Job probably prayed that day when he lost everything; I’m sure he made all the relevant first fruit and burnt offerings unto his God, but that didn’t spare him from being shattered.

God, must teach lessons in faith, he tailors his plans according to his students. Differentiated learning they call it in education circles, I have to do it too, it takes into account your students’ abilities and learning styles – I must teach the way all my students learn. It isn’t a one size fits all experience anymore. This NO, was my differentiated instruction.

I had whispered in my prayer time that I wanted an increase in faith, I had said it out loud too; the word became flesh; God agreed, then replied with that BIG FAT NO! – Now your move my child.

Curse God and Die!
Job 2:10   But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? Shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this Job did not sin with his lips.

Job, did not lose his integrity, and neither will I. Psalm 34:1 I will bless the Lord at all times, his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

I had whispered for increased faith. God had answered, “I will grant your request for increased faith, by saying NO, now. I will say NO now, and see if you will still TRUST me, see if you will still LOVE me, see if you will still believe that I WILL do exceedingly abundantly above ALL that you ask or think.” God whispered a BIG FAT NO  and I shed a tear or two, but my faith did not waiver, and I surprised myself when I whispered … “Well, I guess you have something better in store for me; guess I will wait.” 

So, that No song you sing, that we have sent for Jesus but he hasn't come song, I’ll sing it knowing “he’s four days late, but still on time.” 

Martha thought all hope was lost, the family was shattered but God was going to show up and Lazarus was going to come forth. I was disappointed, but I didn't die!

Do you think God loves us any less than he did Lazarus?

1Corinthians 2:9   But as it is written, Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.

I'm there for it!



You may also like : Hello Fear


10 comments:

  1. Great Post, Friend! Hearts shattered but faith is not wavering. That is a tough thing. Sometimes God just wants us to learn how to cling, no matter what. I often times tell my children, I love them no matter what. I want them to know that God does, too. Even in the No's, the disappointments, and the through the tough and even sinful times. Keep holding on, my friend! Thanks for sharing with us. If you ever need help and want me to post your work on my blog party, just let me know. I know you are limited on your devices. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jaime, it is hard but it's possible and thanks for the offer, I am going to try to link up today, I know it has been awhile! So much has been happening but we will chat soon I promise

      Delete
    2. Shared this post again this week on my link and shared with the twitter followers. Praying for you, friend!

      Delete
  2. Morning Tanya,
    This is a very good post. We all have to learn to accept NO from the Lord even when it is not easy. Sounds like you are on a good road. Those NO's can be very painful at times due to our lack of understanding but yet in our hearts when we know God means them for our good,
    it gives us peace even in the midst of the pain, and God's PEACE is the best!!
    and Just like in the Lazarus situation, Jesus had something New to teach Martha and Mary,
    that he could not just heal but raise Lazarus from the dead..........and he has new things
    to teach us too, so those delays are very purposeful.........
    Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings, Nellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Nellie, I am trying to do what is right in the face of disappointment. He knows best

      Delete
  3. I never heard anyone wanting to be Job either. Great point. Enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Saleslady371, I am glad you did and thank you for the support. Job's experience is a hard pill to swallow indeed

      Delete
  4. Tanya,
    Yeah,great observation about Job...and also about how God builds our faith through the difficult times in our lives if we don't let go of him...blessings to you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! I've had to face some hard things this week and your thoughts really blessed me. Happy to be here from Holley's.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tanya sorry about your phone incident i hope everything will work out.
    I launched my new blog today and would love it if you could follow me on this new blog and keep up with me on social medias
    www.mssparkleandglow.com
    have a blessed week

    ReplyDelete